The Miami-Dade Democratic Environmental Caucus (MDEC) has begun to announce official endorsements for the 2018 election cycle. An endorsement from MDEC indicates that the Caucus believes the candidate is environmentally sensitive and will, by their votes, influence, and sponsored legislation, work to support both the Party’s environmental platform and the platform of the environmental movement in general. These decisions are based on a year-long process by which the MDEC — a group of dedicated environmental experts and leaders — consulted with other experts and leaders within the Democratic party and the environmental movement to determine which issues were most urgent, salient, and important to constituents. Based on these discussions, a questionnaire was formed, which was then sent to every candidate in a Miami-Dade election. After a candidate completed the questionnaire, an in-person follow-up discussion was held. And as a last step, the general body of the MDEC met across several sessions to make final endorsement decisions.
While more endorsements are underway, the MDEC is proud to officially endorse the following Miami-Dade candidates:
- Demetrius Grimes, Florida Congressional District 26
- Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, Florida Congressional District 26
- David Richardson, Florida Congressional District 27
- Michael Hepburn, Florida Congressional District 27
- Kristen Rosen Gonzalez, Florida Congressional District 27
- Matt Haggman, Florida Congressional District 27
- Julian Santos, Florida State Senate District 36
- Annette Taddeo, Florida State Senate District 40
- Cindy Polo, Florida House District 103
- Ross Hancock, Florida House District 105
- Dotie Joseph, Florida House District 108
- Cedric McMinn, Florida House District 109
- Michael Greico, Florida House District 113
- Deede Weithorn, Florida House District 113
- James Linwood Schulman, Florida House District 115
- Jeffery Solomon, Florida House District 115
- Maryin Vargas, Miami-Dade County Commissioner District 6
- Daniella Levine Cava, Miami-Dade County Commissioner District 8
For our latest press release on the endorsements, please click here.
If you are interested in more information about these endorsements, please contact Dustin Thaler at 786-897-6288.